August 30, 2018
Orangeville District 203 safeguards the future with no tax rate increase
District 203 uncovers operational effectiveness and efficiencies to improve the working and learning environment. After study and engagement with outside experts, the Board has unanimously concluded that the budget cannot sustain operating the aging Elementary School. Reducing to 1 building avoids costs and saves funds needed for improvements and efficient operation: (A) $3 million of infrastructure, security, health/life safety, asbestos abatement and other necessary improvements at the Elementary School (built in 1937, 1958 & 1966) and (B) over $5 million in operating costs over the next 20 years.
This work will be funded by ongoing operational savings, which means no tax rate increase. We’re looking forward to improved safety & security, a better learning & working environment, improved useful life, and ongoing synergies that provide a sustainable future for District 203.
There are also benefits for community members. Because we can employ preferred and local workers, we expect our constituents to benefit from more money flowing into the local economy. The initial work, reflecting our most critical needs, includes:
- 2 new dedicated, energy-efficient secure vestibule entrances
- 2 new dedicated, grade-specific drop-off areas
- Safety & security technology system upgrades
- Effective & efficient use of space, including updated classrooms, labs & more
- Classroom & communications technology system upgrades
- Various infrastructure & building envelope upgrades (including any required associated asbestos abatement)
- Mechanical & ventilation enhancements
- Energy-efficient LED lighting upgrades
- Playground & additional multi-purpose room space
With so many tough tasks and so much bad news coming from the state, it is exciting that District 203 has found solutions that do not drain limited internal resources and deliver what staff and students need most – with no tax rate increase.
Upcoming Orangeville Community Member Briefings
SEPTEMBER 4, 2018 7:00 PM – Orangeville Village Hall
SEPTEMBER 5, 2018 6:30 PM – Orangeville HS LMC