Follow the team at Panther Speech
Check back often!
|*Dates & times subject to change. Most up-to-date information can be found on the Le-Win website or Facebook link above*|
Justin is the first student in the Speech Team’s history to be a 2-time Sectional Champion, 2-time State Qualifier, and 2-time State Finalist.
- Results from the Feb. 15-16 IHSA State Speech Tournament held at the Peoria Civic Center:
Overall Team Ranking: 34th (tie) out of 75
Radio Speaking: Justin Malone, 6th
For the second consecutive year, Justin Malone has qualified for the State Speech Tournament by claiming the Sectional Championship in Radio Speaking, the first person in the speech program’s history to do so. Congratulations are also offered to Ronan O’Brien and Emma Beightol for competing in the Sectional Tournament, something that very few first-year speech students are able to accomplish.
- Results from the Feb. 9 Rochelle Sectional Speech Tournament
Overall Team Ranking: 15th out of 26
(Sectional Tournament competitors ranked 1st through 3rd advance to the State Speech Tournament to be held at the Peoria Civic Center on Friday, February 15 and Saturday, February 16)
Extemporaneous: Ashlyn Enck, 10th
Impromptu: Ronan O’Brien, 11th
Oratorical Declamation: Justin Malone, 7th
Original Oratory: Emma Beightol, 11th
Radio: Justin Malone, 1st
- OHS students Justin Malone, Emma Beightol, and Ronan O’Brien advanced to the IHSA Sectional Speech Tournament after placing in the Regional held at Freeport HS on Feb. 2nd. Justin won 1st place in Oratorical Declamation and 2nd place in Radio Speaking. Emma took fourth place in Oratorical Declamation, and Ronan was fourth in Impromptu Speaking.
- At the Rockford Jefferson Speech Tournament on January 26th, Justin Malone won 1st place in Radio Speaking, 4th in Oratorical Declamation, and 3rd in Wretched Interpretation. Ronan O’Brien was 1st in the “next-in” grouping in Radio Speaking, and 5th in “next-in” Impromptu. Emma won 6th place in Novice Original Oratory. The team as a whole ranked 1st in the small school division.
- Justin Malone placed 6th in Radio Speaking at the Downers Grove South speech tournament on Jan. 18 & 19th. There were a total of 83 contestants from 39 schools, and Justin was ranked 1st by his judges in all four of his preliminary competition rounds.
- Colton Dowdy placed 6th in Prose Reading, Emma Beightol won 2nd place in Original Oratory, Ronan O’Brien was 5th in Radio Speaking, and Justin Malone took 2nd in Oratorical Declamation and won his fourth 1st place award this season in Radio Speaking at the River Ridge Speech Tournament on January 12th.
Front row from left: Tabitha Roenneburg, Jocelyn Comito, Emma Beightol, Mollee Brumfield, Ronan O’Brien. Second row from left: Mikhail Schoonhoven-Hussain, Andrea Sutter, Alysse Potter, Ella Brunner. Top row from left: Michael Decker, Ashlyn Enck, Justin Malone, Ben Gardner, Kierra Lynn Schulz, head coach Meredith Schoonhoven. Not shown: Payton Scace, Lucas Schoaf.
- Results from the Jan. 5 Le-Win/Orangeville Speech Tournament
Overall Team Ranking: 6th
Dramatic Duet Acting: Michael Decker/Payton Scace 4th (Novice)
Dramatic Interpretation: Jocelyn Comito 5th (Novice)
Extemporaneous: Ashlyn Enck 4th (Varsity), Ben Gardner 2nd (Novice)
Impromptu: Ronan O’Brien 4th (Novice)
Informative: Ben Gardner 3rd (Novice)
Original Oratory: Emma Beightol 6th (Varsity)
Poetry: Emma Beightol 2nd (Novice)
Radio: Justin Malone 1st (Varsity), Ronan O’Brien 2nd (Varsity)
Team at the Byron Tournament. Pictured top row from left: Justin Malone, Ashlyn Enck, Ben Gardner; middle row from left: Emma Beightol, Michael Decker, Payton Scace; bottom row: Kierra Lynn Schulz, Ella Brunner, Ronan O’Brien
- Results from the Dec. 15 Byron Speech Tournament:
Overall Team Ranking: 9th
Dramatic Duet Acting: Michael Decker/Payton Scace 6th (Novice)
Extemporaneous: Ashlyn Enck 2nd (Next-In), Ben Gardner 2nd (Novice)
Humorous Duet Acting: Ella Brunner/Kierra Lynn Schulz 5th (Next-In)
Humorous Interpretation: Payton Scace 4th (Novice)
Impromptu: Ronan O’Brien 5th (Novice)
Informative: Ben Gardner 4th (Novice)
Oratorical Declamation: Justin Malone 3rd (Next-In)
Original Oratory: Emma Beightol 1st (Novice)
Poetry Reading: Emma Beightol 1st (Novice)
Radio: Justin Malone 1st (Varsity), Ronan O’Brien 2nd (Next-In)
- At the Rochelle Tournament on Dec. 8th, Emma Beightol placed 4th in novice poetry reading, Justin Malone placed 2nd in varsity radio speaking, and Ronan O’Brien finished 1st place in novice radio speaking.
Orangeville members Emma Beightol, Justin Malone, and Ronan O’Brien at the Rochelle Tournament on Dec. 8th.
- Justin Malone earned a 1st place award in radio speaking and 2nd place prize in oratorical declamation, Emma Beightol a 2nd place award in poetry reading, and to Ronan O’Brien a 1st place novice award in radio speaking at the Saturday, December 1st, Stockton Speech Tournament!
The Le-Win/Orangeville co-op Speech Team at the Stockton Tournament.
- Ronan O’Brien received a first place finish in radio speaking at the Rochelle Novice Speech Tournament on Saturday, November 17th!
*What an end to the season! Justin Malone finished in 5th place at State in Peoria on Feb. 16-17, in Radio Speaking! The Lena-Winslow/Orangeville Speech Team finished the season tied for 27th overall out of 86 teams.
Justin Malone, winner of 5th place in Radio Speaking at the State Speech Tournament in Peoria.
*Justin Malone won the Sectional Championship in Radio Speaking at the Sectional Speech Tournament held at Huntley High School on February 10th. Justin will advance to the IHSA State Speech Tournament to be held in Peoria – the first Orangeville student to ever do so!
*Lucas Boomgarden & Justin Malone competed in the Regional Speech Tournament at Freeport HS on February 3rd. Justin finished 1st in Radio Speaking and 2nd in Oratorical Declamation and will advance to the Sectional Speech Tournament. This is Justin’s second consecutive Regional Championship award in Radio Speaking.
*Justin Malone received 1st and 2nd place finishes at the Rockford Jefferson Speech Tournament on January 27th. The team ranked 2nd place overall in the small school division.
*Justin Malone competed at the large Downers Grove South Speech Tournament on January 20th. He placed 7th out of 93 contestants in the Radio Speaking category.
Justin Malone at the Downers Grove South Speech Tournament on January 20th
*At the River Ridge Speech Tournament on January 13th, Justin Malone finished had a first place finish in Radio Speaking and 2nd place in Oratorical Declamation, and Lucas Boomgarden placed 6th in Impromptu Speaking. The Le-Win/Orangeville team ranked 3rd place overall.
*Justin Malone received a 1st place finish in Radio Speaking and a 2nd place award in Oratorical Declamation at the home meet on January 6th.
*Justin Malone received two first place finishes in the Byron Speech Tournament on Dec. 16, 2017. His top prizes were in Radio Speaking and Oratorical Declamation. The speech team finished in 6th place out of a field of 17 teams.
Le-Win/Orangeville Speech Team after team 1st place ranking at the Stockton Speech Tournament on Dec. 2nd.
*Results from the Dec. 2 Warhawk Pow Wow (Stockton) Speech Tournament: Overall Team Ranking: 1st
Dramatic Duet Acting: Abby Strominger/Maddie Meador 4th (Varsity)
Dramatic Interpretation: Mollee Brumfield 2nd (Varsity)
Extemporaneous: Ashlyn Enck 2nd (Varsity)
Humorous Interpretation: Asa Lake 1st (Varsity)
Impromptu: Lucas Boomgarden 4th (Varsity)
Informative: Jennifer Swedlund 4th (Novice)
Original Comedy: John Jurkovic 3rd (Varsity), Lucas Schoaf 4th (Varsity)
Oratorical Declamation: Justin Malone 2nd (Varsity)
Original Oratory: Alysse Potter 5th (Varsity)
Poetry: Abby Strominger 1st (Varsity), Mollee Brumfield 4th (Varsity)
Prose: Lucas Boomgarden 5th (Varsity)
Radio: Justin Malone 1st (Varsity), Lucas Boomgarden 2nd (Varsity)
Special Occasion Speaking: Ashlyn Enck 3rd (Varsity)
*Results from the Oct. 28 Huntley Speech Tournament:
Dramatic Duet Acting: Abby Strominger/Maddie Meador- 2nd (Novice)
Poetry Reading: Abby Strominger- 3rd (Novice)